Monday, October 11, 2010

Welcome!

This blog is about thinking.  It's about being free to pursue the truth about ourselves and the world around us.

My perspective is one of a former Christian who has become an atheist.  For about 20 years, I was a believer.  As time went on, I got more and more interested in my Christian faith, but also in knowing why I believed what I did.  I took an interest in philosophy and Christian apologetics, and enjoyed lively discussion about issues of faith.  I had reasons to believe in God, and I wanted to convince others why it was reasonable to believe.

Turns out I was too skeptical for my own good.  Over the years, less and less about my faith seemed defensible as I tried to think honestly and from someone else's perspective.  More and more of my beliefs about God and Jesus were questioned and marginalized, until I had a very agnostic view of God.  I believed in God, and the resurrection of Jesus, but that was really all I could defend.  Eventually, even those were called into question, and I have finally broken free of the mental gymnastics I was doing in order to make my faith seem reasonable.

Now I do not believe a god exists - I see no good reason to.  I find the world around me is exactly how I would expect it to be if there was no divine creator.  The explanatory power of God is, to me, profoundly impotent when compared to the secular options.  The world makes more sense to me now, and I am free to follow the evidence.

As a result, I have accepted science back into my heart, and asked for forgiveness from my mind for hiding the beautiful and elegant truths that were more than just a little uncomfortable to my faith-infected intellect.  The world is a much more wonderful and mysterious place to me now, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  It is the great joy and excitement I still feel knowing that I am free to accept those things that I couldn't before due to my religious state of mind that drives me to want to manage this blog.  I want others to know that feeling, to experience that freedom of mind.  Ironically, Jesus said, "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  Indeed it has.
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment